Monday, August 16, 2010
The Dark Side of Weight-Control Quackery Crimes at its Best! Part 3
The Dark Side of Weight-Control Quackery Crimes at its Best! Part 3 New Nutritional Education from Fitness Elements Express!
How Disreputable elements of Food Combining have Failed
Did you know that that every year Americans have spent $33 billion annually on weight loss foods, products, services, and the next diet fad and trend (ADA,2009)? That is an unbelievable number of weight-loss gimmicks that we as Americans and our obsession with losing weight have truly thrown right into the toilet. While some weight-loss frauds merely slim down the wallets (instead of the bodies) of those who get confused and use them, others may endanger their victims. When will this ever stop? And, of course, almost all of them fail to produce permanent weight loss. I guess if you are too lazy to truly investigate or do your own homework part of this responsibility should lie on you! Yes I said you! It may sound harsh but I've been around far too long and know the truth about weight loss and you should by know too!
Diet quacks want people to believe that special food combinations and/ or supplements promote quick and effortless weight loss (Barrett). The bottom line is input and output my health and fitness friends. What that means to you is an appropriate amount of exercise and eating that is customized to fit your whole health, fitness, and nutritional needs period.
How Weight-Loss Quackery Harms
Frances Berg, MS, RD, editor of the Healthy Weight Journal, notes that the most insidious aspect of weight-loss quackery is that it creates false hope for people trying to lose weight. Repeated attempts to lose weight, followed by the inevitable regain, bring on a sense of failure, shame, and powerlessness. It batters the self-esteem and is psychologically damaging. With their magical solutions and outrageous promises, weight-loss quacks undermine responsible weight management programs and make them seem ineffective by comparison (Berg).
Kelly Brownell, an obesity expert in the psychology department at Yale University, states, "When I get calls about the latest diet fad, I imagine a trick birthday cake candle that keeps lighting up and we have to keep blowing it out" (Liebman).
Weight loss is a lucrative field for quacks, and they are not shy about exploiting it. Our first Amendment protects them. To help combat weight-loss quackery, health and fitness professionals should be able to both recognize dietary fads and educate their clients on proper weight-loss strategies. So my health and fitness friends when you are searching for the proper education and right approach to your weight loss strategy and weight management make sure you use your wisdom and gut on this one it could cost you your life.
How Disreputable elements of Food Combining has Failed
Food Combining is another disreputable element of Natural Hygiene that was popularized by the book Fit for Life (Barrett and Herbert). This book which sold over one million copies, shows how a weight-loss program founded on unscientific concepts can be a huge commercial success (Barrett).
The authors, Harvey and Marylin Diamond, espouse the theory that when foods are combined inappropriately, they become "rotten" and cannot be absorbed from the intestinal tract. This "toxifies" the body and makes people fat. (Barrett).
The Diamonds contend that people gain weight not from overeating and inadequate exercise, but because they eat protein-rich foods at the same time as they eat starchy foods. The authors say our digestive tracts cannot assimilate more than one of these "concentrated foods" at a time, since the enzymes that digest protein nullify the enzymes that digest carbohydrate, and vice versa.
As a result, the Diamonds claim, food cannot be digested properly. In the process, they add, all the food's nutrients are destroyed and toxic by-products are stored in fat tissue, where they cause a "bloated appearance." The Diamonds also believed that the energy wasted on the incomplete digestion of these foods reduces the body's ability to eliminate the "toxic residues" deposited in the fat tissues after previous meals. The ending solution is to eat only one "concentrated" food per meal. Look health and fitness friends you are entitled to make your own conclusion and form your own beliefs on appropriate nutritional values and healthful eating. You need to remember that the bottom line is input and output there is no bad food everything in moderation is o.k. The key being portion control and moderation!
These theories totally disagree with our knowledge of physiology and nutrition. Keep in mind that the concepts of food combining originated at the turn of the century when people knew little about basic physiology and nutrition. Only decreased calorie absorption causes weight loss, not weight gain. So don't let all these confusing theories fool you.
Have a happy and healthy day!
References: Nutrition Dimension, Ellen Coleman, (Barrett and Herbert),(Liebman), and (Berg).
By, Natalie Pyles
NSA Speaker, Author, Medical Exercise and Post Rehab Conditioning Specialist, Licensed Nutritionist, Health, Fitness, and Holistic Nutrition and Nursing Educator
Welcome to Fitness Elements new and exciting blog! We have created this site in hopes that our past, present and future clients will share, encourage, and support each other as they work towards their fitness and nutritional goals. Please feel free to post a question, comment, tip or inspiration to others as often as you like.
Who We Are..........
Fitness Elements and Associates provides fitness and nutritional instruction on a one on one basis either in the conveniance of your home or at the gym! You will meet with a licensed dietician and certified personal trainer to discuss your current lifestyle habits and set healthy attainable goals. Together through exercise, nutrition and coaching your goals WILL be met. We are happy to meet with clients of all ages and fitness levels!
If you would like to receive our Bi-Weekly newsletter containing great fitness tips and tricks just fill out the form below!
Real Time Twitter Updates
Meet Up Groups
About Natalie Pyles and how Fitness Elements Express began
- Natalie Pyles
- North Scottsdale, North Phoenix, Arizona, United States
- Who I Am Hello My Friend In Health and Fitness, my name is Natalie Pyles. I am a Local Health, Fitness, Nutritional Expert, Medical Exercise and Post Rehab Specialist. I have over 19 years of experience in both the Health, Behavioral Health, Medical, and Fitness Industry. I would like to share my Personal story of overcoming my battles with weight loss that began as an early adolescent. I struggled from the ages of 13-18, I realized that I had a severe problem and decided then and there to take action. To hear the rest of my story and Fitness Elements client stories visit... http://www.myfitnesselements.com Today! Call me today for your Free Fitness and Nutritional Consultation! Sincerely Your Friend in Fitness, Natalie Pyles Owner, Fitness Elements Express LLC. Office Phone: 480-212-1947 or Mobile 480-544-5502 or Toll free 1-888-539-1651 or Fax 623-399-4199 www.MyFitnessElementsExpress.com or FitnessElementsExpress@yahoo.com
Pt On The Net Tips
Ways to contact Natalie Pyles and Fitness Elements Express
To start Your very own personalized Health & Fitness Coaching, Nutrition Consulting, Wellness Coaching, Custom Sports Specific Training and Sports Nutrition Counseling, In-Home Medical Exercise and Post Rehab Conditioning, In- Home Holistic Health, Wellness, Nursing, and Nutrition program Now please contact us @
- Popularized Diet Fads continue Last but not least ...
- Popularized Diet Fads Continue Part 5 - The Vegeta...
- Popularized Diet Fads continue Part 4 The Macrobio...
- 6 Popular Diet Fads Continue- The Ornish Diet part...
- 6 Popular Diet Fads Continues Part 2- The Blood Ty...
- Fitness Elements Express New Whole Body Functional...
- 6 Popular Diet Fads and the Scientific Discovery b...
- New Special Offer from Fitness Elements Express! B...
- The Dark Side of Weight-Control Quackery-The Ultim...
- The Dark Side of Weight-Control Quackery Crimes at...
- Shocking furniture breaking Event! Goodman's turn...
- The Dark Side of Weight-Control Quackery from Fit...
- Consumers Beware! Social Harms Distortion of Pers...
- 3 Harms of Quackery caused by Outbreaks Revealed! ...
- Did You Know Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (...
- Intuitive Eating: The 10 Principles Whole Health a...
- Yes Harm Done by Quackery can cause Psychological ...
- In Need of a Back to School Body Back? Free Report...
- Yes! Harm Done by Quackery causes Outbreaks! Part ...
- ▼ August (19)
- ► 2009 (235)