Thursday, September 23, 2010
News Alert! Juice and Cider: Make Sure They're Safe from Fitness Elements Express!
By Martin J. Stutsman, Consumer Safety Officer, FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
When fall arrives, many of us look forward to enjoying fresh apple cider and juices. While most people think of juices as healthy foods, since they provide many essential nutrients, certain types of juice could pose a health risk to your family.
Why Juice Is Pasteurized or Treated
Most of the juice sold in the United States is pasteurized (heat-treated) to kill harmful bacteria, such as E. coli and Salmonella. Juice may also be treated by non-heat processes to kill bacteria.
When fruits and vegetables are fresh-squeezed to produce juice, any bacteria that are present on the inside or the outside of the produce can become part of the finished product. Unless the juice is further processed to destroy harmful bacteria, it could be dangerous for those most at risk for foodborne illness.
Who’s at Risk?
Infants and young children, pregnant women, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems, such as AIDS and cancer patients, diabetics, recipients of organ transplants, and others with chronic diseases are at greatest risk for foodborne illness.
While most people’s immune systems can usually fight off foodborne illnesses, people in these “at-risk groups” are susceptible to serious illness from drinking juice that has not been processed to kill bacteria. FDA recommends that these groups should drink unpasteurized juice only if they bring it to a boil first to kill any harmful bacteria.
Check the Label
Some grocery stores, health food stores, cider mills, and farm markets sell packaged juice that was made on site that has not been pasteurized or processed to ensure its safety. These untreated products should be kept refrigerated and are required to carry the following warning label:
WARNING: This product has not been pasteurized and therefore may contain harmful bacteria that can cause serious illness in children, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems.
The FDA does not require this warning label for juice or cider that is fresh-squeezed and sold by the glass at orchards, farm markets, roadside stands, or in some restaurants or juice bars. So, if you stop at a roadside stand or farm market where samples of cider or apple juice are available, be sure to ask whether the juice has been treated.
Two Simple Steps to Prevent Illness
1. Always Read the Label
Look for the warning label to avoid juice that has not been pasteurized or otherwise processed. In particular, look for the warning label on any packaged juice product that may have been made on site, such as at grocery and health food stores, cider mills, or farm markets.
2. When in Doubt, Ask!
Always ask if you are unsure if a juice product is pasteurized or not. Pasteurized juice is normally found in your grocers’ frozen food cases, refrigerated section, or on the shelf in containers such as juice boxes, bottles, or cans. Do not hesitate to ask questions if the label is unclear or if the juice or cider is sold by the glass.
Questions and Answers
Updated September 22, 2010
Q. Are juices made at home with a juicing machine safe? Are there special precautions to take when making juice at home, other than washing fruit and vegetables?
A. While it's important to wash fruits and vegetables before consuming them, any bacteria on the outside or inside of produce could contaminate the juice. Unless you process the juice to destroy the bacteria, it could still be dangerous for people who are at risk for foodborne illness.
Have a healthy and happy day!!
Welcome to Fitness Elements new and exciting blog! We have created this site in hopes that our past, present and future clients will share, encourage, and support each other as they work towards their fitness and nutritional goals. Please feel free to post a question, comment, tip or inspiration to others as often as you like.
Who We Are..........
Fitness Elements and Associates provides fitness and nutritional instruction on a one on one basis either in the conveniance of your home or at the gym! You will meet with a licensed dietician and certified personal trainer to discuss your current lifestyle habits and set healthy attainable goals. Together through exercise, nutrition and coaching your goals WILL be met. We are happy to meet with clients of all ages and fitness levels!
If you would like to receive our Bi-Weekly newsletter containing great fitness tips and tricks just fill out the form below!
Real Time Twitter Updates
Meet Up Groups
About Natalie Pyles and how Fitness Elements Express began
- Natalie Pyles
- North Scottsdale, North Phoenix, Arizona, United States
- Who I Am Hello My Friend In Health and Fitness, my name is Natalie Pyles. I am a Local Health, Fitness, Nutritional Expert, Medical Exercise and Post Rehab Specialist. I have over 19 years of experience in both the Health, Behavioral Health, Medical, and Fitness Industry. I would like to share my Personal story of overcoming my battles with weight loss that began as an early adolescent. I struggled from the ages of 13-18, I realized that I had a severe problem and decided then and there to take action. To hear the rest of my story and Fitness Elements client stories visit... http://www.myfitnesselements.com Today! Call me today for your Free Fitness and Nutritional Consultation! Sincerely Your Friend in Fitness, Natalie Pyles Owner, Fitness Elements Express LLC. Office Phone: 480-212-1947 or Mobile 480-544-5502 or Toll free 1-888-539-1651 or Fax 623-399-4199 www.MyFitnessElementsExpress.com or FitnessElementsExpress@yahoo.com
Pt On The Net Tips
Ways to contact Natalie Pyles and Fitness Elements Express
To start Your very own personalized Health & Fitness Coaching, Nutrition Consulting, Wellness Coaching, Custom Sports Specific Training and Sports Nutrition Counseling, In-Home Medical Exercise and Post Rehab Conditioning, In- Home Holistic Health, Wellness, Nursing, and Nutrition program Now please contact us @
- Are you Exercising Regularly? Why or Why Not? Find...
- Brain Foods That Help You Concentrate Slideshow on...
- Gluten-Free Diet Slideshow on MedicineNet.com from...
- News Alert! Juice and Cider: Make Sure They're Saf...
- Catch a Glance Perform like Lance! New special Off...
- Figalicious! Your fruit of the month from Fitness ...
- More Vitamin D updates from Your Dietetic Diva!
- New Article from Fitness Elements Express! Vitamin...
- Did you Know Ditching Dairy may be a Big Mistake? ...
- Allergy Alert: If you have an Allergic reaction to...
- Did you know the Hottest part of a Chili Pepper is...
- Why is Cellulite more prevelant in the thighs and ...
- Special News Alert! Natalie Pyles of Fitness Eleme...
- How to use Prevention as the Cure for improving yo...
- Get Energized with Seasonal Eating! Happy Labor Da...
- No- Guilt Feelings and Have fun From Fitness Eleme...
- The Emerging Trends of “Natural” Medicine from Fit...
- Popularized Diets the end to the Question "What is...
- ▼ September (18)
- ► 2009 (235)